Ageing is the process of growing old and reaching the end of useful life. It is also a time in life where one becomes obsolescent.
Death is the termination of the biological functions that define living organisms. Death begins when the heart stops beating. Death is a process rather than an event.
Life Enhancing Measures against Ageing
The following are life enhancing measures against ageing:
- Rest and sleep
- Greater participation in activities
- Having more close friends
- Visiting with family
- Addressing basic needs
- Promoting healthy behaviour
Supporting a Dying Person
A dying person can be supported in the following ways:
- Be there consistently, as often as the patient wants, and as frequently as the time schedule permits.
- Maintain contact on a regular basis, over a period of time, so the dying person will feel comfortable with sharing thoughts, fears, feelings, wishes, dreams and hopes
- Listen more than talk. Follow the dying person’s agenda as time is spent with them.
- Let them also know who is in the room ;tell him or her who is touching an arm or patting a shoulder
- Remind them of the time and date.
- It is very important, especially during the hours and minutes immediately preceding death, that arrangements be made for the patient and family members, friends, spouse, and partners to have time alone with the patient to hold, to touch, to say things one last time before they part
Supporting a Grieving and Ageing Person
A grieving and ageing person can be supported in the following ways:
- Social support
- Good self-care
- The passage of time
- Contact a counselor
- Contact bereavement support groups for help.
- What is ageing?
- Write a short note on death.
- State three steps to support dying person.
- List four life enhancing measures against ageing.
Get paid for every topic you create in: Shoutam.com Forum!