Algorithm is the step by step procedure of solving a particular problem. It is simply a sequence of clear and precise instructions for solving a particular problem. Algorithms are usually written in English and some few mathematical notations (signs, symbols)
Characteristics of Algorithms
- They are written in sequence.
- They are written in English like statements.
- Finite, it must have a beginning and an end.
- Should be effective
- Should not be ambiguous. Should be consistent.
An algorithm to calculate average of three numbers:
Step1: Enter the first number N1
Step2: Enter the second number N2
Step3: Enter the third number N3
Step4: Calculate the total (N1+N2+N3)
Step5: Calculate the average (N1+N2+N3)/3
Step6: Print total
Step7: Print Average
The flowchart is the diagrammatic representation of an algorithm. It shows the steps involved in solving a particular task.
Characteristics of flowchart
Different flowcharting symbols are used for different operations
Flow lines are used to connect the flowcharting symbols.
Flowcharts are read and drawn from top to bottom.
The start symbol indicates the beginning of a program.
The end symbol signifies the end of a program.
Reading Assignment: Reading Assignment:
Hiit @ School, Computer Studies for Senior Secondary Education. Pgs 108 – 109
WEEK 8 WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT
1. _________ is the step by step procedure of solving a particular problem.
- Problem b. sequence c. algorithm d. symbol
2. _________ is the diagrammatic representation of a step by step procedure of solving a particular problem.
a. Algorithm b. Program c. Flowchart d. sequential solution
3. The following are characteristic of a flowchart EXCEPT one
a. Flowcharts are read and drawn from bottom to top b. Flowcharts end symbol signifies the end of a program c. Flow line are used to connect the flowchart symbols
4. The following are characteristic of an algorithm EXCEPT one
a. They are written in sequence b. An algorithm should be effective c. It must be ambiguous and inconsistent d. They are written in English like statement
- Define algorithm and flowchart
- State three characteristics of an algorithm
- Write an algorithm that will compute the average of three numbers a, b, c.
- Draw a flow chart to calculate the area of a triangle with base, b and height, h.