The word drug refers to any biologically active substance that is foreign to the body which is deliberately introduced to affect its functioning. But a medical practitioner, drug is any substance used to manufacture medicine to cure disease and ailment. Therefore, aspirin, antibiotics as well as mind altering drug are included in this definition. Any drug can be harmful to the body if not taken in large doses, too often or in an impure form.
Uses of drugs
Drugs are used for the following reasons among others :
- To reduce weight
- To treat sickness and ailment
- To build up the muscles
- To induce sleep (depressants)
- To keep awake(stimulants)
- To relieve and reduce pain
- To stimulate the body for action
- To cure diseases
What is drug misuse?
Drug misuse is the intake of drug in the ways that are not medically valid. In other case, drug misuse is the consumption of drugs without the prescription of a medical practitioner.
Drug abuse can be defined in many ways. It can be defined as the excessive use of any substance that measurably damages health or impairs social, emotional and vocational adjustment. It is also defined as drug use that makes a person ill, mentally impaired or unable to carry out the normal activity of daily life. In other words drug abuse is the indiscriminate use of drugs with the hope of getting well, feeling better, feeling relaxed, to be free from pains, to be free from stress, to experience superior emotional state, to feel high and bold etc. The consumption of these drugs is usually without the prescription of a qualified medical practitioner and to the detriment of the social, physical, and emotional wellbeing of the consumer.
Consequences of drug abuse
- It can lead to brain damage
- It can lead to death
- It can lead to accident or lead the victim to suicide
- Drug users endanger themselves and people around them
- Users become useless to themselves and the society
- The drugs are expensive, and thus it drains the finance of the users
- The drugs reduces body coordination
- They impair judgment
- They cause over dilation of the blood which leads to high blood pressure
- The user will commit any crime including murder to get the money for the drugs
- As more time and money are devoted to drugs, the family will suffer and this will in effect lead to separation of the family.
- The user becomes wasted as he can no longer contribute to the economy of the country.
Ways of preventing drug misuse
While there is no one way or guaranteed way to prevent someone from abusing drugs and alcohol, there are things that everyone can do to prevent substance abuse. Here are the top five ways to prevent substance abuse:
- Understand how substance abuse develops. Substance abuse starts by:
Using addictive drugs (illicit or prescribed) for recreational purposes
Seeking out intoxication every time you use
Abusing prescription medication
- Avoid Temptation and Peer Pressure. Develop healthy friendships and relationships by avoiding friends or family members who pressure you to use substances. It’s often said “we become most like those we surround ourselves by,” meaning if you surround yourself with people who abuse drugs and alcohol you are more likely to as well. Peer pressure is a major part of life for teens and adults. If you are looking to stay drug free develop a good way to just say no, prepare a good excuse or plan ahead of time to keep from giving into peer pressure.
- Seek help for mental illness.Mental illness and substance abuse often go hand in hand. If you are dealing with a mental illness such as anxiety, depression or post-traumatic stress disorder you should seek professional help from a licensed therapist or counselor. A professional will provide you with healthy coping skills to alleviate your symptoms without turning to drugs and alcohol.
- Examine the risk factors.Look at your family history of mental illness and addiction, several studies have shown that this disease tends to run in the family, but can be prevented. The more you are aware of your biological, environmental and physical risk factors the more likely you are to overcome them.
- Keep a well-balanced life.People often turn to drugs and alcohol when something in their life is missing or not working. Practicing stress management skills can help you overcome these life stressors and will help you live a balanced and healthy life.
Develop goals and dreams for your future. These will help you focus on what you want and help you realize that drugs and alcohol will simply get in the way and hinder you from achieving your goals.
Share these tips for avoiding and preventing substance abuse with your friends and family and help promote a healthier lifestyle free from addiction
- Any biologically active substance that is foreign to the body which is deliberately introduced to affect its functioning is known as
- All these are uses of drug except
(a) to reduce weight
(b) to treat sickness and ailment
(c) to build up the muscles
(d) to kill people
- Intake of drug in the ways that are not medically valid is known as
(a) drug mistake
(b) drug misspell
(c) drug missing
(d) drug misuse
- The excessive use of any substance that measurably damages health is
(a) drug respect
(b) drug disrespect
(c) drug abuse
(d) drug cussing
- One of these is not a consequence of substance abuse
(a) brain damage
(c) good health
(d) judgement impairment
Get paid for every topic you create in: Shoutam.com Forum!