This is a process of combining separate economics into a large economic block.
ECONOMIC COMMUNITY OF WEST AFRICA STATES (ECOWAS)
OBJECTIVES OF ECOWAS
- Promotion of co-operation and development in economic activities.
- Abolition of tariffs.
- Maintenance of international stability
- Promotion of sporting activities.
- Expansion of trade in the sub-region.
- Harmonization of monetary policies.
- Maintenance of political stability.
- Encourages free movements of goods and people.
- Raising the standard of living of citizens.
BENEFITS OF ECOWAS
1. Exchange of manpower.
2. Employment opportunities for citizens.
3. Free movement of people.
4. Financial assistance.
5. Maintenance of peace.
6. Increase in standard of living.
7. Free trade.
PROBLEMS OF ECOWAS
1. Differences in language.
2. Insufficient infrastructural facilities.
3. Political instability.
4. Allegiance to former colonial master.
5. Immobility of factors of production.
6. Dependence on revenue from tariff.
7. Low level of trade among members.
8. Inability to pay dues.
9. Balance of payments problem.
10. Currency differences.
NIGER BASIN COMMISSION
The Niger Basin Commission was formed by the following countries. Nigeria, Guinea, Republic of Benin, Cameroon, Burkina Faso, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Niger and Chad. The treaty establishing it was signed in 1963 in Niamey, Niger republic.
The treaty was designed to deal with navigation matters of the river Niger and ensure economic. Cooperation among the member nations.
Aims and Objectives of the Commission
1. Sustain cordial relationship among member nations.
2. To deal with navigation matters of the Niger-River.
3. To harness the resources of the Niger Basin effectively and efficiently.
4. To collect, evaluate and disseminate data concerning the basin.
5. To put up policies that will control floods.
6. To ensure economic cooperation among member nations.
7. To look into the construction of dams on the Niger and its tributaries and the impact on other countries.
LAKE CHAD BASIN COMMISSION
Lake chad covers and estimated area of 500,000 square kilometers. The head of states of Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon and Chad signed the treaty for the formation of the commission. It was established in 1964 to ensure cooperation and development among member states and to develop ways of harnessing the water resources of the Lake. The headquarters of the commission is at N’djamena, Chad.
OBJECTIVES OF LAKE CHAD BASIN COMMISSION
The following are the reasons for the establishment of Lake Chad Basin Commission.
1. Fostering of cooperation.
2. Control of pollution.
3. Economic development and cooperation.
4. Control of flood and erosion.
5. Irrigation projects.
6. Education of farmers.
7. Drawing common rules of navigation.
8. Construction and maintenance of boreholes.
1. Describe “West Africa” clearing House.
2. State the member countries.
3. State five (5) objectives of WACH.
4. State five (5) problems and achievements of WACH.
Get paid for every topic you create in: Shoutam.com Forum!