The appearance of a person’s hands tells much about him/her. Beautiful, soft clean hands with neat fingernails give the impression that the person is very careful about her appearance and hygiene.
FUNCTIONS OF THE HANDS AND FEET
- The hands and fingers are used for touching things.
- They are used for doing different types of work.
- The legs give us support.
- The legs are used for walking about.
- The legs Salso perform some other activities such as playing games, dancing, jumping, etc.
IMPORTANCE OF CLEAN HANDS AND FEET
- Dirty hands can harbour germs especially under the fingernails. And it is easy for the germs to pass from the hands to the month.
- Clean hands and feet are important for personal appearance.
- Dirty hands and feet can be repulsive to other people. People will not want to play work or eat with a person that has dirty hands and feet.
CARE OF THE HANDS AND THE FEET
- Hands, if not kept clean, can be the source of ill-health. It is very important to wash them after using the toilet and before eating.
- Always trim the finger and toe nails.
- Apply little hand lotion or cream to the hand to make it soft.
- Do not use teeth to trim the finger nail.
- Remove any dry skin around the sole of the feet by rubbing with a pumice stone.
- Avoid the habit of walking bear footed.
- Keep your stockings and shoes clean.
- Wear good fitted and comfortable shoes.
- State three importance of clean hands and feet.
- State one way two can take care of the hand.
The process by which the hands are softened, fingernails are trimmed, cleaned and sometimes, varnished is called a manicure while Pedicure is the care for the feet and toe nails.
DISEASE OF THE FOOT
- Athlete’s Foot: It involves the toes and the spaces between the toes. When the feet are not well exposed to air and are constantly wet bacteria and fungi grow in the space in between the toe and the sole of the fee. Application of dusting powder in the shoes and on the feet also discourages the infection.
- Calluses: Theses appears as thickened areas of the skin around the heel. They can be removed by scrubbing with pumice stone
- Corns: These are commonly caused by ill fitted shoes. They form as small moulds of dead hard and waxy skin. They can be prevented by wearing well-fitted shoes.
- What is manicure?
- How can the feet be cared for?
- State three ways we can care for our hands
- State two skin care products
- Mention two skin infections
- One of the following is not a part of the hand. (a) fingers (b) nails (c) palm (d) heel
- When the feet is constantly wet, bacteria and fungi can grow in between the toes causing (a) calluses (b) athlete’s foot (c) watery foot (d) corn
- The process of caring for the hand and finger nails is called
(a) pedicure (b) manicure (c) hand care (d) finger cure.
- ____ if not kept clean can be the source of ill-health.
(a) hands (b) money (c) nails (d) palm.
- ____ is one of the tools for trimming the nails.
(a) knives (b) broom (c) scissors (d) cutlass.
- What is manicure?
- State four importance of clean hands and feet.
Read “The hands and Feet” from Home Economics for Junior Secondary Schools, by Elizabeth U. Anyakoha, Pages 30-34.