Minerals are usually natural endowment to particular communities. Minerals are naturally-occurring substances in the soil. Many minerals resources are found in the environment. Some are solid in nature, others are liquid in form while some are gaseous in nature. In Nigeria, minerals abound in many parts of the country. The presence of such minerals has resulted in the development of such areas. Many industries have been set up to prospect in mineral resources. Exploitation of minerals has in most cases caused strife, kidnapping and wars as is witnessed in the Nigerian Niger Delta areas.
Examples of minerals are petroleum, limestone, gold, coal, tin, salt, lead and zinc etc.
Some solid minerals cannot be used in the form in which they are found when dug out of the soil. They have to be refined into new products, which are useful. The process is called refining. Refining a mineral is done in factories built for a purpose.
Location of Solid Mineral Resources
Solid minerals are found in some areas in Nigeria
The Map of Nigeria
- Limestone is found in Ewekoro in Ogun State, Nkalagu in Ebonyi State and Ukpilla in Edo state
- Gold is found in Ilesha in Osun State, Bida (Niger state)
- Tin and columbite is found in Kuru (Plateau State)
- Coal is found in Udi hills (Enugu State)
- Kaolin is found in Umuahia (Abia state)
- Bitumen is found in Ondo state
- Sand is found in Porthacourt (Rivers State)
- Iron is found in Kogi state
- Lead/Zinc is found in Ebonyi
Characteristics of Solid Materials
- Diamond – Hard and lustrous
- Gold – Lustrous
- Coal – Black
- Marble – Milky
- Iron – Grey/brown
Importance of Solid Mineral Resources
This is used to make various types of household tools and office equipment like chairs, tables, door frames, etc. Iron is also used in the construction of bridges and building. Iron ore is used for manufacturing Iron sheets, rods and weights
- Gold, Silver and Diamond
Gold, silver and diamond are used for making jewelleries, earrings, necklaces, medals and trophies. The wealth of a nation in foreign reserve is determine in gold value.
Coal is extracted unrefined and used for cooking. Also used in generating fuel. When processed, it can be converted into other useful materials like chemicals, paints, dye and fertilizers. It is also used to generate power, which is used to move trains.
Clay is a grayish sticky substance. It is useful in pottery industries. Sometimes, it combines with limestone and can be used to make cement and chalk.
Limestone is a major material for the manufacture of cement used for building houses, construction of bridges, etc.
Used in making glass.
For tarring road surfaces
For making roofing sheets
For making car batteries
- Which of these is not a solid mineral
- Which of these solid materials is used for the production of cement
- Roofing sheets are made from
- _____ can be found in Udi hills
- _____ is used in making glass
Get paid for every topic you create in: Shoutam.com Forum!