Before using this website, you must read our disclaimer here.
Simile means a figure of speech in which something is compared with another and said to be like it. Consequently, the use of “like, and “as is common with simile.
i. Alaba’s shirt is as white as snow.
Ii He swims like a fish.
Iii That person behaves like a mad man.
iv. On our entering the premises, it was as quiet as a grave yard.
v. The old man fights like a lion.
A metaphor is a figure of speech which compares two things that posses similar features by saying that one thing is another. In other words, it is a direct comparison between two things without the use of “like, and “as.
- Ade was a lion in the fighting. (He was as brave as lion)
- My elder sister is the pillar of our family. (She alone bears the problems of the family).
- Jemima is the apple of her father’s eyes. (She is greatly loved by her father.)
- The player is the shinning light in the team.(He is the source of inspiration to other members of the team).
- Ayisatu was a pig during her secondary school days. (She was extremely dirty).
In simple sentences, give three examples of simile and three examples of metaphor.
READING ASSIGNMENT: Asabe, Scenes 1-5.
From the words lettered A-D, choose the words that has the same vowel sound as the one represented by the letter(s) underlined.
- Libel (b) typical (c) year (d) weird
- Favourite (b) kin (c) write (d) keen
- Quay (b) stripe (c) strip (d) happy
(a)rice (b) bad (c) here (d) bit
(a)eat (b) wait (c) dirt (d) aisle