A trade union is an association of workers formed to enable the members to take collective, rather than individual, action against their employers in matters relating to their welfare and conditions of work. E.g. Academic staff union of universities (ASUU), National union of petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) etc.
OBJECTIVES OF TRADE UNION
- To secure good wages for members
- To safeguard interest of members
- Helps in policy formulated
- They also regulate the entry qualifications into the various professions
- Job security
- To secure better working conditions
WEAPONS OR INSTRUMENTS OF TRADE UNION
- Negotiation or Collective bargaining with Employers: Collective bargaining is a process by which a trade union and the management try to resolve their differences through joint negotiations.
- Threat to Strike: The trade union my give an ultimatum to the employer or to the management informing them of an impending strike by the union if their demands are not met within a given period of time.
- Work to Rule: This involves the workers deliberately showing down operations in order to press down their demands for improved conditions of services
- Picket lines: This involves the workers refusing to work, parading and sometimes blocking the entrance to the plant or factory
- Strike: A strike involves workers refusing to work and staying away completely from their place of work until their demands are met.
QUESTIONS ( USE THE COMMENT BOX BELOW TO POST YOUR ANSWER FOR DISCUSSION AND EVALUATION)
- Explain the factors which influence the level of employment in your country
- Distinguish between labour and labour force
- State four reasons for difference in earning among workers.
Get paid for every topic you create in: Shoutam.com Forum!