Before using this website, you must read our disclaimer here.
- Definition of accident
- Causes of accidents
- Accident prevention
DEFINITION OF ACCIDENT
An accident is an unforeseen turn of events without an apparent cause i.e. a negative experience that happens to somebody when he does not expect it. Accidents can be caused by people and equipment.
CAUSES OF ACCIDENTS
Causes of accidents in the workshop can be grouped under two major headings:
- Unsafe actions (ii) unsafe conditions
- Lack of concentration
- Lack of carefulness in handling the machines
- Fatigue / tiredness
- Failure to use safety devices
- Bad/faulty machine
- Slippery or wet floors
- Absence of safety devices
- Non-maintenance of tools
- Working in the workshop when one is tired or sick.
- What is an accident?
- State five (5) causes of accidents.
Accidents in the workshop can be prevented by observing the following rules:
- Keep workshop clean and tidy
- No horse play
- Dress safely for work
- Work safely with hand tools
- Work safely with machines
- Work safely electrical tools, machines and appliances
- Work safely with hot materials
- Always be very careful.
TYPES OF FIRE
There are two types of fire which can occur in a workshop. These are
- Electrical fire
- Chemical fire
An electrical fire may result due to the following:
- Sparks due to short circuit or partial contact
- Poor wiring
- Wrong electrical connections
- Not switching off electrical appliance after use.
Electrical fire is fought with fire extinguisher, water and dry sand.
A chemical fire is caused by chemical substances used or stored in the workshop. Examples of chemical substances are gas, oil and grease.
Chemical fire is fought with foam, dry sand or gas from a fire extinguisher. Never use water to put out fire caused by chemicals.
- How can we prevent accidents in a workshop?
- List two types of fire that can occur in the workshop.
Read on Drawing instruments and materials from Introductory Technology (JSS1) by Evans. Pages 8-12
1. _______ is a place where activities such as fabrication, designing, construction and drawing take place. (a) Factory (b) Hospital (c) Hostel (d) Workshop.
2. ______ means protection from, or not being exposed to the risk of harm or injury (a) Methodology (b) Skill (c) Safety (d) Technology
3. _______is a negative experience that happens to somebody when he does not expect it (a) An accident (b) Disease (c) Fire outbreak (d) Electrical sparking.
4. The following are causes of accidents except (a) using appropriate safety devices (b) Lack of concentration (c) horseplay (d) Lack of carefulness in handling machines
5. _____ are to be used to stop fire from destroying lives (a) Extinguishers and bucket of sand (b) Helmets (c) Boots (d) Goggles
1. Draw a typical basic technology workshop layout.
2. State five (5) workshop safety precautions.
3. Mention five (5) workshop safety devices.