Meaning of Costumes
Costumes are clothes and accessories e.g. cap, jewelry, beads necklaces, shoes and bags etc. worn by actors and actresses in a drama presentation.
Meaning of Make-up
It is the colorful substance e.g. powder/paints used especially by women to make their faces look more attractive.
Costume involves clothing and accessories while make-up involves all that is done to the body.
Types of Make-up
(i) Straight/foundation make up
(ii) Stage/character make up)
This is the make-up used to enhance beauty e.g. if a young girl is acting the role of a young girl, make-up will be used on her to enhance her beauty.
It is used to alter features. It is used for the alteration of features. For instance, if a boy of 18 is acting the role of a man of forty, make-ups will be used to make him look older.
Uses of Make-up and Costume in Drama
- It is for identification.
- It helps the audience for easy understanding of the play.
- It helps in easy interpretation of the play and its location.
- The rich and the poor i.e. social and economic status of the characters are easily identified.
- It helps in identifying the occupation or profession of the character.
- Costume gives weight and extra meaning to a drama.
Making Up in Drama
- It is under the technical aspect of drama.
- It requires the services of an experts.
- Human autonomy must be studied by the make-up artists.
- Define costumes.
- State three uses of costume.
- Define make-up?
Get paid for every topic you create in: Shoutam.com Forum!