- Economic Community of West African State.
- Niger Basin Commission
- Lake Chad Basin Commission
ECONOMIC COMMUNITY OF WEST AFRICAN STATES (ECOWAS)
ECOWAS was established on May 28th , 1975 after the treaty establishing it was signed in Lagos, Nigeria. The member countries of ECOWAS are:
1. Sierra Leone 2. Gambia 3.Cape verde 4. Guinea 5. Guinea Bissaau
6. Cote D’ivoire 7. Liberia 8.Burkina Faso 9.Mali 10. Mauritania
11. Niger 12. Nigeria 13.Senegal 14.Benin 15. Togo
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF ECOWAS
- Promotion of co-operation and development among member countries.
- Abolition of trade restriction among member countries.
- Establishment of common tariff against the rest of the world.
- Removal of all obstacles to free movement of goods persons and capital among member countries.
- Harmonization of agricultural policies
- Implementation of infrastructural schemes and joint developmental projects in the area of transportation, energy etc.
- Harmonization of monetary policies of member countries
- Harmonization of economic and industrial policies among member countries
- To establish a common fund for co-operation, compensation and development.
ACHIEVEMENT OF ECOWAS
- Expansion of market for goods.
- Reduction in tariff between member countries.
- Execution of joint projects e.g. road.
- Establishment of ECOMOG to ensure peace and security in the sub-region.
- Fostering of unity and sense of belonging.
- Free movement i.e. enhanced mobility of labour and capital.
- Enhanced efficiency due to increased competition.
- List five member countries of ECOWAS.
- State ten objectives of ECOWAS.
PROBLEMS OR FAILURE OF ECOWAS
- Language differences among member countries.
- Currency differences among member countries.
- Irregular payment of contribution /dues by member states.
- Existence of blocs with the organization i.e. Anglophone and Francophone blocs
- Affinity of some member state to their former colonial masters.
- Constant military coups, wars and political instability in member states
- Weak national link with the secretariat
- Fear of dominant and unequal development
NIGER BASIN COMMISSION (NBC)
The NBC was established in 1964 via the act of Niamey signed by the nine member countries, namelyNigeria, Niger, Benin, Mali, Guinea, Cote d’ivoire, Chad, Cameroun and Burkina Faso. The headquarters of the commission is located in Niamey, Niger Republic.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF NBC
- To ensure the most effective and beneficial use of the waters and resources of River Niger.
- To collect, evaluate and disseminate data on the basin.
- To recommend to the Governments of member countries plan for the judicious use of the Niger Basin.
- To guarantee the freedom of navigation for all member nations on the river.
- To foster closer co-operation among member nations.
- To handle complaints and settle disputes arising from the use of River Niger by member nations.
LAKE CHAD BASIN COMMISSION (LCBC)
The LCBC was established in 1964. It has four member countries countries namely Nigeria, Niger, Chad and cameroun.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF LCBC
- To regulate the exploitation of the Lake Chad resources.
- To examine member countries plan for Lake Chad.
- To ensure co-operation and mutual benefit in the tapping of resources of Lake Chad.
- To harmonize the plans and policies of member countries in relation to Lake Chad Basin
- State five problems of ECOWAS.
- List four objectives of the Niger Basin Commission.
Essential Commerce for SSS by O.A. Longe page 256-261.
- The national headquarters of Niger Basin Commission is at ___ (a) Lagos (b) Niamey (c) Yaounde (d) N’djamena
- Which of the following countries is NOT a member of Lake Chad Basin Commission.(a) Benin (b) Chad (c) Cameroun (d) Niger
- Which of the following countries is not a member of ECOWAS.
(a) Nigeria (b) Gambia (c) Sierra Leone (d) Cameroun
- One of the following is not a problem of ECOWAS.
(a) increase in competition (b) increase in social vices (c) currency differences
(d) political instability
- Which of the following is a sub-regional organization.
(a) OAU (b) UNO (c) Common wealth (d) ECOWAS
- List three achievement of ECOWAS.
- State two objectives of the LCBC.