h = Planck’s constant.
f = frequency
ENERGY LEVEL IN AN ATOM
Electrons in atoms are arranged around their nuclei in position known as energy level or electron shell. It requires more energy to remove electrons from the first energy level than to remove electrons from any of the other higher levels. The energy of an electron is given by the relation .
- With the aid of a diagram, explain charge distribution
- Name two devices that can store charge.
New School physics pgs
1. When an atom is in ground state, it is said to be (A) excited (B) stable (C) ionized
(D) n=1 to n=2
(C ) Excitement of an electron in the atom
4. A 50KV is applied across an x-ray tube. Calculate the maximum velocity of the electrons produced. [Me= 9.11X10-31Kg, e= 1.6X10-19C] (A) 4.2X108m/s (B) 1.8X108m/s (C) 4.2X105m/s
5. The nucleon number and the proton number of a neutral atom are 238 and 92 respectively. What is the number of neutrons in the atom? (A) 146 (B) 330 (C) 73 (D) 52.
1. An electron of charge 1.6X10-19C is accelerated in a vacuum from rest at zero volt towards a plate 40KV. Calculate the kinetic energy of the electron
2. An electron jumps from one energy level to another in an atom radiating 9.0×10-19J. If h = 6.6 x 10 -34Js and C = 3.0 x 108m/s, what is the wavelength, and the frequency of the radiation.