TOPIC:- MORE ON FORMAL AND INFORMATION LETTERS.
FORMAK LETTERS:- Formal letters are those written to official figures or people in official positions.
This is why it is correct to say that a formal letter is one written to an office rather than to a person. A formal letter is largely in personal. There is usually no room for personal greetings, exchange of ideas etc. You go straight to the matter you want to discuss. In effect, formal short, as the following letter illustrates.
7, Adelani Street
Nigerian Journal Of Curriculum,
Institute Of Education,
University Of Lagos,
Informal Letters: These are letter written between close acquaintances, e.g. from a brother to his sister, from a man to his wife, from one student to another, from a colleague to another. As a result of the familiarity or love which exists between the two sides, there is usually enough room for almost anything that can be discussed by two people. So, the letter often opens with greetings to the recipients, his family, his friends etc. in addition, the language is very close to the colloquial , often with slang and other types of words which are normally used b the two sides. Example
- The subscription
An adverb modifies a verb. That is, it tells us how a verb does it work.
- The woman walk slowly across the field.
- Gbolahan rain
- She listened attentively
Functions Of Adverbs and Adverbials.
The basic function of adverb and adverbials is that of modification. They modify verbs, adjectives and other adverbs. In the following examples illustrates adverbials.
- As modifiers the verb.
- He ate hurriedly.(modifies “ate”)
- Victoria will be visiting us today (modifies will be visiting).
- They were playing in the garden (modifies were playing “)
- As modifies of adjectives.
- We watched a very funny film ( modifies funny )
- That girl has a really beautiful face (modifies beautiful).
(C)As modifiers of prepositional phrases.
(i) The motorist stopped right in the middle of the road ( in the middle of the road).
(ii) Jide was left well behind in the race ( modifies in the race )
- As modifiers of noun phrase.
(i) He told such a funny story that everybody laughed hilariously ( modifies a funny story )
(ii) I’ve never experienced such kindness in my life ( modifies kindness )
- The meeting yesterday was a big success (modifies “the meeting”)
FORMATION OF ADVERBS
- Many adverbs are formed from adjectives and these end in suffix – ly as in quick – quickly, honest – honesty; glad – gladly; happy – happily; gentle – gently etc.
- A few adverbs end in – ‘wards’ such adverb indicate direction e.g backward; forwards, northwards, earthwards.
- Some adverbs of manner end in ‘-wise, e.g clock wise; school – wise, money wise; cross wise etc.
- Some adverbs do not have any special ending e.g always, often, here , these, fast, late early, quite, if, when, how, very, soon etc.
- Some phrases function in the same way as single word adverbs, e.g in the morning , at the market, in here, in there, to the library, at midnight, during lunch, before supper, at breakfast.
TOPIC:- Summarizing Paragraph Unit.
The summary paragraph from the recommended tex for Senior Secondary School Book 3.