A: Common Fractions
(i) Proper Fractions
(ii) Improper Fractions
(iii) Simple Conversion
A: COMMON FRACTIONS
A fraction is a number which is represented by one integer – the numerator – divided by another integer – the denominator ( or the divisor).
Simply put, a fraction is a part of a whole number. It is not always possible to use whole numbers to describe parts of quantities. It is therefore, important to know that to describe parts of quantities, fraction is used for example.
GENERAL FORM OF A FRACTION
From the explanation given above, we can write fraction in the form
a = the numerator
b= the denominator
1. Which of the following is not a proper fraction?(a) ¼ (b) ¾ (c )3/2 (d) 5/8
2. Express 3 1/7 as an improper fraction is (a) 11/7 (b)
3.What fraction of the figure shown is shaded?(a) 2/11 (b) 3/9 ( c) 8/3 (d) 4/11.
4. Express 99/5 as a mixed fraction (a) 19 4/5 (b) 18 4/5 ( c) 19 5/4 (d) 18 5/4
5.The figures above can best be described as
(a) 2 ½ – mixed numbers
(b) 2 ¾ – proper fraction
(c) 2 ¾ -improper fraction
(d) 2 ¾ -decimal
1. Distinguish clearly the various types of fraction known to you, giving 2 examples each.
2. Express (a) 103/5 as mixed fraction (b) 115 2/5 as improper fraction