This device converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is a reverse of the electric motor. It contains a coil pivoted in a magnetic field. When the coil is rotated in the magnetic field electrical energy is generated.
The D.C generator has a split ring commutator and the e.m.f generated is unidirectional
Simple D.C Generator
The A.C generator has a slip ring commutator and the emf generated is bi-directional
Simple A.C Generator
EVALUATION (POST YOUR ANSWERS USING THE QUESTION BOX BELOW FOR EVALUATION AND DISCUSSION):
- State the difference between the ac generator and the dc generator
- Explain the principle of an electric motor.
- with the aid of diagram explain the principle of operation of a transformer
- A galvanometer has a resistance of 5Ω. By using a shunt wire of resistance of 0.05Ω, the galvanometer could be converted to an ammeter capable of capable of reading 2A. What value of current flows through the galvanometer?
- The magnetic flux in a coil having 200 turns changes at the time rate of 0.08Wbs-1 Calculate the induced emf in the coil.
Ad: Get a FREE Bible: Find true peace. Click here to learn how you can get a FREE Bible.
For advert placement/partnership, write [email protected]