It is generally believed that the whole world and the heavens were created by God. There are various accounts of creation. Creation is the act of making or causing something to be or exist. It is a way of bringing out something new.
The Bible record of creation is that in the beginning, the whole world was without form, void and darkness was on the surface of the deep. God created the world out of nothing. In the first account of creation, God spent six days in creating the world while He rested on the seventh day and hallowed the seventh day.
Day 1 God created the light Gen. 1: 1-5.
Day 2 God created the firmament, i.e. the heavens, the sky and the clouds. Gen. 1:6-8
Day 3 God created the seas, land and vegetation; trees, grasses and other plants Gen 1:9-13.
Day 4 God created the heavenly bodies – the Sun, Moon, Stars and other planets. There are two great lights created to control day and night. For example, the sun is to shine and rule the day, while the moon and the stars are to shine and rule the night. Gen.1:14-19
Day 5 All kinds of sea creatures such as fishes, whales and every kind of birds were created. These creatures were good in the sight of God and He blessed them and commanded them to be fruitful, multiply and fill the sea, the sky and the land. Gen. 1:20-23.
Day 6 God created all kinds of land animals on land like the elephant, the lion, cows, sheep, goats etc. Finally, God created man in His own image and likeness. He created them male and female. He commanded them to be fruitful, multiply and replenish the earth. God also gave man dominion over all the earth and put man in charge of other things He created on the earth. Gen.1:24-31.
Day 7. God ended his work of creation on the sixth day and rested on the seventh day. He hallowed (made holy) the seventh day
Human beings share in God’s creation
Man is the crown of creation. He shares in God’s creation in the following ways
- Giving names to other animals created. 2:19,20.
- Reproduction – Man continues in the work of creation by giving birth to children, in order to replenish the earth as God commanded.
- Scientific Inventions – Right from creation, man continued in the work of creation in a primitive way of tilling the ground to farm, but now, man is advanced through scientific inventions in the area of mechanized agriculture, means of transportation, e.g. cars, railways, lorries, aero planes, etc. Also, in the area of Communication, there are telephone, internet, computers, television etc. There are advancements in medicine and in every field of human endeavours including modern housing.
- Development of Natural Resources – Man continued in creation work be tapping and developing natural resources for human benefit and progress. e.g. drilling of crude oil for refining petroleum products, gas, power such as electricity, manufacturing of Iron and Steel, making of paper and furniture from wood etc.
Activity: As a being that shares in God’s creation, make something on your own and submit it to your Educator when you return after mid-term break
- What is creation?
- Outline the things created on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th
- What did God do on the seventh day?
Get paid for every topic you create in: Shoutam.com Forum!