Meaning of Floor Activities
Floor activities are the activities performed on a mat, foam or floor. They are also known as stunts. Tumbling are the activities involving springing (jumping or moving rapidly), rolling, twisting and turning of the body.
Classification of Floor Activities
Floor activities can be classified into the following:
(a) Stunts activities (individual or with a partner).
(b) Tumbling activities.
(c) Balancing activities.
They are all performed without apparatus.
Stunts (Without partner)
Stunts without a partner include the following:
- Frog jump.
- Push up.
- Cycling in the air.
- Trunk curl.
- Sit up.
- Rabbit jump.
Stunts (With partner)
Stunts with a partner include the following:
- Cock fight.
- Wheel barrow.
- Fireman lift.
- Lift the log.
- Chinese get-up.
- Leg wrestling.
The following are tumbling activities:
- Forward roll.
- Backward roll.
- Dive forward roll.
- Head stand.
- Hand stand.
- Side roll.
- Front somersault.
- Back somersault.
- Head spring.
Values of Floor Activities
The values or importance of floor activities include the following:
- It develops courage.
- It develops physical fitness.
- It develops safety skills.
- It provides the means of livelihood.
- It improves body posture.
- It develops alertness.
- It develops coordination and balance.
- It develops a wide range of movement patterns.
- It develops beauty of movement.
- It develops mental and creative ability.
Safety Precautions in Floor Activities
The following safety precautions should be taken while taking part in floor activities:
- Have a proper warm up before activities.
- Make sure the playing area or field is free from dangerous objects or obstacles.
- Activities must be performed based on the ability of the performer.
- Put on correct wears.
- Practice and master fundamental skills before the exercises.
- Activities or exercises must be performed from simple to complex.
- Listen to and follow instructions.
- Adequate space must be made available for all tumbling exercises.
- There should be enough foam and flood light in activity area.
The following are officials of gymnastics:
- Mat chairman
- Time keeper.
- Define floor activities
- Enumerate three classifications of floor activities
- List five tumbling activities
- State five values or importance of floor activities
- Highlight five safety precautions in floor activities
- List 5 officials of gymnastics
Get paid for every topic you create in: Shoutam.com Forum!