INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
ICT is an umbrella that includes all technologies for the communication of information. These technologies include:
(i) Computers ( ii)Telephones (GSM) (iii) Satellite Communication (iv) Internet (v) broadcasting technologies (TV and Radio)
1. What is ICT?
2. Mention four application areas of ICT
USES OF ICT
- Communication: Use of GSM (Global System of Mobile Communication ) has made communication easier.
- Timing and Control: Traffic control, weather control, machine control and airplane control
- Information Processing and Management: (1) Database Management: Computers are used to prepare, store, edit, and retrieve record on an individual, organization or event. (2) Order Processing: Marketing, generation of payroll and accounting and banking.
- Healthcare: Hospitals are computerized to facilitate patient care. Timely patient information is very valuable in medical emergencies.
- Airlines: Airline reservation agent communicate with a centralized computer via a remote terminal to update the database the moment a seat on any flight is filled or becomes available.
- Law: Lawyers use keyword to search through massive full-text database containing more cases than in any law.
- Video and Tele-conferencing: In having meeting with various members of staff or board of directors in different locations, with the ability to view themselves.
- Email: Ability to send and receive mails through the internet.
- Multi-media communications: Various means of communicating with large audience.
IMPACT ON SOCIETY
- Latest news on different subject are gotten
- Employment patterns have changed.
- Advertisement patterns have increased.
- Transactions of business have changed.
- Payment patterns have changed.
1. State the uses of ICT in daily life activities.
2. Identify the impact of ICT in daily activities.
Computer Studies for Junior Secondary Education JS1 by HiiT Plc: page 65 – 67, Chapter 13
- Information and communication technology is an umbrella that includes all technologies for communicating information (a) False (b) Not sure c) True (d) A and B
- The use of GSM has made communication easier (a) False (b) not sure (c) True(d) A and B
- Which of these area is ICT used for timing and control (a) Teaching (b) Swimming
(c) Traffic (d) Boxing
- The following are the uses of ICT except (a) Communication (b) Information processing Management (c) Timing and control (d) all of the above.
- Database is the use of computers to prepare, edit , store and ………… information on an individual (a) process (b) calculate (c) refine (d) retrieve
1. What are the uses of ICT? 2. Mention the impact of ICT in daily activities