Mode is the figure or number which has the highest frequency. It is the number which occur most in the data.
Example1: find the mode of 4, 6, 10, 4 , 3, 11, 4
The number which occur most in the data is 4
Mode = 4
Example 2: The score obtained by 10 students in a test were 80, 30, 50, 20, 70, 50, 30, 60, and 50. Calculate the mode.
Arrange the number in ascending order and prepare the frequency table
The highest frequency is 3 therefore, the mode is 50
ADVANTAGES OF MODE
- Mode is very easy to understand
- It is easy to compute
- Mode is not influenced by extreme values
- It can be used for data that are not numerical
- It is a more approximate average in circumstances where it is useful to know the most common value.
DISADVANTAGES OF MODE
- It is not suitable for further statistical analysis
- It is not a very good measure of a accuracy
- It is difficult to calculate especially when more than one mode or large members are involved
- It has limited practical use and it is not often clearly defined
- It is not a truly representative figure because not all the values in the data are used.