Accidents are sudden occurrences that distort the proper functioning of a procedure, event or exercise. Road accidents are unexpected occurrences on the road that comes from failure to adhere to traffic regulation. It could lead to traffic congestion, car damages, bruises or death of the victim.
- The rate of accidents on the roads can be reduced through the following ways.
- Vehicles that are not in good working condition should not be allowed to ply the roads.
- Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol should not drive.
- Traffic rules should be well observed and obeyed.
- Road signs should be displayed at strategic locations where they can be seen.
- Enlightenment campaign should be carried out regularly to educate road users on the best use of roads.
- Law enforcement agencies on the use of roads should be well equipped to carry out their duties.
- There should be regular repairs and maintenance of roads.
- There should strict punishment of traffic law offenders.
FEDERAL ROAD SAFETY COMMISSION (FRSC)
The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) was established in 1988 to ensure safety and sanity in Nigerian roads. Over the years this commission has contributed immensely to the reduction of road accidents in Nigeria.
FUNCTIONS OF FRSC
- To ensure the safety of road users in Nigerian roads.
- To maintain and enforce traffic regulations in Nigeria.
- To assist to ascertain the road worthiness of vehicles.
- Issuance of drivers’ license to qualified persons.
- Research into the causes of accidents and how to prevent reoccurrence.
- Arrest and prosecution of traffic laws offenders.
- Assistance in the rescue of accident victim on the roads.
- Education and enlightenment of the public on the best use of roads.
- To ensure that roads are traffic free for users.
- To work with other related agencies for effective use of roads.
1. What is road accident?
2. Mention five ways road accidents can be avoided.
1. What is community service?
2. Mention some examples of community service
3. Explain the features of democracy
4. Define rule of law
5. How can the rule of law be encouraged?
Traffic Regulation: Fundamentals of civic education for SS Book 2, Sola Akinyemi, Pages 89-99
Instruction: From the options lettered A-D, choose the letter that is most appropriate for the following questions. Answer all the questions.
1. Which of the following is a major cause of road accident? A. HIVB. Drug abuseC. Bumps D. Traffic
2. Safety on roads is the duty of A. motorists B. police C. traffic wardersD. road users
3. FRSC was established inA. 1963 B. 1988 C. 1973 D. 1999.
4. The traffic light for “stop” is A. red B. yellow C. green D. blue
5. One of the following will help to avert accidents on the roads.A. Overload B. High speedC. Obedience to traffic regulations D. Honesty.
1. Describe any four challenges of FRSC.
2. List four measures that can help to reduce accidents on Nigerian roads.