WOTCLEF is a non-governmental, non-profit making organization founded by the wife of the former vice president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Chief (Mrs) TitiAtikuAbubakar in the year 1999.
The aim of this organization is to partner with relevant agencies to restore human dignity by eradicating human trafficking and child labour in Nigeria. This foundation sent a private member bill to the National Assembly on the enactment of law prohibiting human trafficking and child labour in Nigeria. This bill was passed into law and assented/approved by the president of Nigeria on 14th July, 2003 as Trafficking in Persons Prohibition Law Enforcement and Administration Act.
- What is the reason for establishing WOTCLEF?
- When was the bill passed into law?
ACTIVITIES OF WOTCLEF
- PUBLIC SENSITIZATION AND ENLIGHTENMENT
WOTCLEF organizes seminars, workshops, musical concerts, sports, media advocacy and state by state tour to enlighten, educate and sensitize the people on the dangers of human trafficking as well as ways to avoid being victims of human trafficking and child labour.
- YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
WOTCLEF visits schools and youth organization groups to provide their members with essential life skills training and empowerment for the girl child. They also train young people to develop new culture that will help them build competence, and character which will make them better individuals and thereby contribute positively to the progress and development of the society.
- ENLIGHTENMENT ON HIV/AIDS
There is no doubt that HIV/AIDS is directly linked to child labour and human trafficking. It is on this note that WOTCLEF takes HIV/AID campaign to vulnerable members of the society such as the: out of school youths and commercial sex workers with the major aim of enlightening them on HIV/AIDS infection and how they can prevent themselves from being infected with the virus.
- PUBLIC EDUCATION
WOTCLEF uses mediums such as radio, television, magazines, posters, pamphlets and newsletters to circulate information on human trafficking to the members of the public.
- WOTCLEF NYSC COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT SCHEME
WOTCLEF partners with the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC). This partnership is done by engaging youth corps members who volunteered to be peer educators in sensitizing people of the communities where they serve on the dangers of human trafficking, HIV/AIDS and child labour. These corps members are adequately equipped with knowledge on human trafficking, HIV/AIDS and child labour through public trainings sponsored by WOTCLEF. The corps members after receiving training go to primary and secondary schools to enlighten the pupils on the effect of human trafficking in the society.
- ASSISTANCE OF VICTIMS
WOTCLEF as part of its activities helps victims of human trafficking by providing them with shelter, clothing, food and counseling. They also help the victims to locate their family members and re-unite them. WOTCLEF also give free training for the acquisition of self-employment skills such as hair dressing, tailoring, barbing, bead making, catering and craft, etc.
State the functions of WOTCLEF.
- What is the full meaning of WOTCLEF?
- Explain the various activities of WOTCLEF.
- State the types of democracy.
- Explain one of the types mentioned above.
- How does democracy helps to promote economic stability.
Fundamentals of Civic Education for Senior Secondary Schools Book 3, Sola Akinyemi. Pg. 124.
- WOTCLEF was founded by (a) Patience Jonathan (b) TuraiYaradua (c) TitiAtikuAbubakar
- In what year was WOTCLEF founded? (a) 1998 (b) 1999 (c) 2003
- Whose responsibility is it to protect fundamental human right? (a) Citizen (b) Non-government organization (c) Government of a state
- Premarital sex can lead to all the following except (a) high moral standard (b) unwanted pregnancy (c) contraction of HIV/AIDS
- Organizations set up by private individuals to help or assist people freely is known as (a) political organizations (b) business organizations (c) non-governmental organizations
- Explain five (5) roles that individuals can play in creating a stop to human trafficking.
- Highlight four roles of WOTCLEF.