- Meaning and examples of accidents in the home and schools.
- Need for safety.
- Safety measures in the home,school and workplace.
MEANING OF ACCIDENT
Accident can be defined as an unexpected occurrence that is capable of causing physical harm or damage.
Example of accidents in the home are:-
- Hot water burns.
- Fire outbreak
- Falling down from the staircase
- Bites from insects or snake.
- Knife cut.
- Bruises caused by hitting or knocking the body against an object.
EXAMPLES OF ACCIDENTS IN THE SCHOOL:
- Falling down while playing football
- Having a sprained ankle while missing a step.
- Injuries from sharp objects e.g. razor or bottles.
- Burns and scalds from hot chemicals in the laboratory.
- Falling down the stair case.
- What is an accident?
- State three examples of accident in the school.
The Need For Safety:
Safety in the environment involves taking every precaution to ensure that the environment is safe for us to live in. Reasons for safety in the environment include the following:-
- A safe environment is a hazard-free environment.
- To sustain the environment so that present and future generations can be supported by the environment.
- To preserve natural beauty of our environment.
- To reduce health-related risks in order to prolong life.
The need for safety is very important as it would to a large extent reduce the accident rates at home, school and working place.
Read social studies for Nigerian junior secondary schools by E. Remi Aiyede.
Chapter 6, Pages 49-50.and Solakat new syllabus on social studies for junior secondary schools.by A.Oluwasola oyewole-chapter 6.pages 36-38.
Sub topic. 3
Safety Measures in the Home.School and workplace.
SAFETY MEASURES AT HOME
1.The home and its surroundings should be kept clean always by sweeping the floor and clearing the bushes.
2.Dangerous household utensils such as knife and cutlass should be kept out of the reach of children.
3.Electrical faults should be handled by the experts.
4.Broken glasses,bottles and plastics should be carefully disposed by burying them.
5.The home should be well ventilated.
6.To prevent fire outbreak, the use of candle at home should be used with caution.
7.A generator should never be placed inside a house.
8.The drainage should be clean and unused water containers should be disposed off to avoid breeding of mosquitoes.
9.A well stocked first aid kit to deal with emergencies should be available.
SAFETY MEASURES AT SCHOOL
1.The school building must be well constructed with the right materials to prevent it from collapsing.
2. School laboratory should have apartments or cabinets where dangerous chemicals are kept and locked up. Students should be guided by a teacher during practical classes.
3. A well stocked first aid kit should be available in the school.
4.Students should be properly monitored during sporting activities by a sport specialists.
5.Physical fight between students should attract strict penalty and the students should be well informed about this.
SAFETY MEASURES AT WORK
The nature of safety measures at workplace depends on the produce of the company. The labour laws in Nigeria emphasize the need for safety measures at workplace.
1.Workers should be properly trained before handling any instrument that can cause bodily harm.
2.Naked light should be kept away from inflammable materials.
3.A factory or workplace should have a sfety manager.
4.Workers should be properly educated on safety measures peculiar to their work place.
5.Electrical works should be carefully done and handled by experts.
6. A worker should have a health care unit with a well stocked first aid kit and medical personnel
- Accident occurs only at home and school True or False?
- One of these cannot cause accident at home. (a) sharp object. (b) hot water (c) clean environment.(d)naked light
- Bruises happen when ______________ (a) the body is knocked against an object. (b) hot water burns the skin. (c) sharp objects cut the body.(d)rain falls
- One of these is a Safety measures at school———(a)rain fall (b)singing in the school (c)a well stocked first aid kit should be available in the school.(b) none of the above.(c)all of the above.
- List three causes of road accident.
- State two accidents at home.
- List 3 safety measures at school.
TOPIC: Traffic Rules and Regulation (a)meaning of road signs and traffic lights (b)consequences of disobeying traffic rules.
1. Meaning of road signs and traffic lights.
2. Consequences of disobeying traffic rules.
MEANING OF ROAD SIGNS AND TRAFFIC RULES
Road signs are traffic signs that are constructed to control, inform and regulate the conduct of road users on the road.
Traffic lights are unique light at road junction to control the flow of traffic. It has colours of green, red, and yellow.
The green light means go, the yellow means get ready to go while the red signifies stop.
CONSEQUENCES OF DISOBEYING TRAFFIC RULES.
1.ACCIDENT:-Road accidents occur as a result of disobeying traffic rules and regulations.
2.DEFORMITY , LOSS OF LIVES AND PROPERTY:-
When we do not obey traffic rules, it may lead to accident which may either kill, injure or deform the victims and damage their pro perty.
This usually occurs when we do not obey traffic rules . Sometime ,the traffic lights are neglected by vehicle and motorcycle drivers Nigeria.
Disobedience to traffic rules could lead to delay,thereby depriving people from attending to their daily activities and appointments, resulting thereby in loss of time, money and other benefits to both private and public establishments.
1.Explain road signs and traffic rules
2.Mention three consequences of disobeying traffic rules
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT: Read Solakat new syllabus on social studies for junior secondary schools. By A. Oluwasola Oyewole. pages 39-41.