CONTENT: 1. Meaning of socialization.
2.Types of socialization
3.Significance of socialization
Sub-Topic 1 &2: Meaning and Types of Socialization
Socialization is the process by which individuals acquires the languages, belief, values and technical skills of his society. Socialization is a life-long process from which we are always learning. The process of learning the culture of a community is called socialization.
Types of Socialization:
There are two types of socialization, they are:
- Primary socialization
- Secondary socialization
Primary Socialization: This is when the child is born and helpless. Most of what he learns are through the efforts of older persons.
Secondary Socialization: This is the time a person is old enough to learn by himself. He learns new roles, new skills and new ways.
Sub-topic 3:The Significance of Socialization:
- Socialization prepares the new member to fit into his community.
- It makes the new member know, understand and participate in the culture of his community.
- It enables desirable values to be passed from one generation to another.
- It promotes peaceful co-existence and social inter-action among people.
- It prepares and teaches the people their roles in the community.
- Define socialization.
- Mention and explain two types of socialization.
- What are the significance of socialization?