A citizen is a person who is recognized by law as a member of a country. A citizen enjoys certain rights and privileges which are written in the constitution of a country to ensure that everyone knows those rights and respects them. Duties are also assigned to a legal citizen of a country.
Thus, citizenship is membership in a community, society or country.
Types of Citizenship
- By Birth: When one is born in a particular country, he or she automatically becomes a citizen of that country. For example, a person born in Nigeria and whose parents are Nigerians is qualified to be a Nigerian citizen.
- Naturalization: this is through application when such person can pledge his or her allegiance to a particular country.
- Registration: A woman who is a citizen of another country but married to a Nigerian husband is a citizen of Nigeria by registration.
- Descent: A person born outside Nigeria, but whose parents are Nigerians is a citizen of Nigeria by descent. For instance, a child born by Nigerian couple in London or Washington D.C. in America is automatically a citizen of Nigeria.
- Honorary Citizen: The government of Nigeria may confer an honorary citizenship on an outstanding personality from another country.
- Itemize and explain 5 types of citizenship.
- What is the difference between citizenship by birth and citizenship by decent?
The Process of Becoming a Citizen of a Country (Nigeria)
If a foreign person wants to become a citizen of Nigeria by registration, he can become a citizen of Nigeria by following this process.
- He or she must be above 18 years and of good character
- He or she must have spent at least 15 years in Nigeria before such application is tendered.
- He or she must be willing to renounce his or her former citizenship
- The person must show clear intention to live in Nigeria till death hence; he will take an oath of loyalty to the Federal Republic of Nigeria. This is called “Oath of allegiance”.
This is an example:
Oath of Allegiance
I, (Name of person) do solemnly swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the Federal Republic of Nigeria and that I will preserve, protect and defend the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. So help me God
- Describe briefly how a Ghanaian can become a citizen of Nigeria.
- What is citizenship
- Who is a citizen?
- Describe citizenship
- what is the difference between citizen and citizenship?
Ad: Get a FREE Bible: Find true peace. Click here to learn how you can get a FREE Bible.
For advert placement/partnership, write [email protected]