Crime can be defined as an offense committed by a person for breaking the rules or laws to which legitimate punishment or sanctions are attached. A crime is a violation of rules or laws by individuals or group of individuals e.g. Falsehood, Theft, Murder, Rape, Fraud, Embezzlement etc.
SOME COMMON CRIMES IN THE SOCIETY
FALSEHOOD AND THEFT
Falsehood: A statement or assertion known to be untrue and intended to deceive people. It is a willful act or declaration that is contrary to the truth. Falsehood is an untrue statement or the act of lying.
Theft: is an act of stealing. It is the taking of another person’s property without that person’s permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it. It is a criminal act in which property belonging to is taken without another person’s consent.
REASONS FOR FALSEHOOD AND THEFT
These are the reasons for falsehood and theft
- Family neglect
- Influence of bad group
- Bad value system
- Inequality between the rich and the poor is also responsible for the increase in crime rule in the country.
- Poverty: Poverty is the state of being poor. When people lack basic needs such as food, clothing, water, shelter etc
- Unemployment: This is another cause of crime in the society. The level of unemployment is so high that young graduates are attracted to crime because of joblessness.
- Family Neglect: Crime also occurs because of lack of good parenting. Some parents abandoned their children; some do not give proper supervision to their children. This may lead them to joining bad group that may introduce them to crime.
- Influence of bad of group: May cause criminal behavior among the young people.
- Bad Value System: Corruption now pervades all sectors of the society. This is also responsible for criminal behaviors among individuals in the society.
- Inequality between the rich and the poor is also responsible for the increase in crime rate in the country: Ostentatious show of wealth, that social event should be reduced.
i Define crime
ii List some common crimes in the society
iii Explain the term ‘’falsehood and theft
Simplified Basic Social Studies for Basic 7
1.All these are crimes except—–A]Falsehood B] Murder C]Honesty D]Embezzlement
2.A statement known to be untrue and intended to deceive people is —– A]Falsehood B]Rape C]Murder D]Poverty
3. These are the causes of crimes in the society except———-A]Discipline B]PovertyC] Unemployment D] Bad value system
4. Crime can be defined as ————A] An offence committed by a person for breaking the rules B]Developing the country C]Natural talent D] Ability to tell the truth
5. The taking of another person’s propertywithout permissionis —- A]Theft B] Disobey C] Falsehood D]obedience
1. Explain the following crimes:
a. Falsehood and theft
2. Mention and explain five reasons for falsehood and Theft.