Tie-dye is one way to create an explosion of beautiful colour. It is a resist technique Fabrics are tied to keep cloth areas from dye. Tie-dye does play good role fashion of our society. Tie-dye can also be used to make lamp shades, table covers, window blinds, bed sheets and pillow cases, gift wraps, wall hanging clothing and costumes. Used old clothes tie dye look new and interesting to wear again.
TYPES OF TIE DYE DESIGN
1 Concentric circle
Fold materials on the two diagonals of the cloth, shape and wind string tightly at intervals from the middle.
2 Circle method (concentric circle)
Pick up the cloth from the middle and fold as evenly as possible away from the middle point, tying string
Tightly around the cloth at intervals. When dipped in dye, the areas where the strings was tied will create concentric circles and remain the colour of the cloth.
3 clump tying
Pebbles tied in the cloth will create interesting effects.
4 Pleating method
Roll the cloth in to small cube and tie it with strong knots. Cloth folded in accordion stlyle, tied tightly with strings at intervals will create stripes.
This is purely texture effect. Just loosen the fabric and without any particular method make it into a ball and tie tightly with a rope
Take the fabric at the edges and at intervals and make series of knots tightly.
MATERIALS AND TOOLS
-100% clean cotton fabric
-strings, rope ,raffia
-dyes of different colour
-stick to stir dye baths
-chemicals (caustic soda ,hydrosulpite)
-salt to serve as fixatives
-spoons for measuring dye
-press iron for finishing
- The fabric to be dyed must be clean; you do this by washing the fabric with soap and water.
- Plan your design by tying cloth in any combination.
- Prepare you dye bath.
- Dip cloth in dye solution and stir constantly with stick so that the material will be dyed evenly or hand using hand /rubber gloves to protect your hand.
- Leave the material in dye for 40 minutes.
- Hang for oxidation.
- Remove from dye and rinse in cold water
- If another colour is to be used, untied the strings desired, re-tie at other sports and put in next colour dye solution. Start with the lightest colour and end with the darkest e.g. yellow should come before blue, orange before purple and so on.
- Allow to drip dry or squeeze out excess water.
- Press cloth with iron when cloth is still damp which with also help set the colour.
List the tools materials tie-dye.
Explain basic steps for tying and dyeing
Make three yards tie-dye fabric
1. Some typing methods in tie and dye include:
a. Circle, clumb, typing, pleating, and knotting
b. Marbling, squeezing, ironing and cutting
c Spreading, folding, tying and bundle method
d. Crown, seeds, twisting and spreading
2. Another name for cloth in textile design is
a. Yam b. Fabric
c .Clothe d.Calico
3. The two chemicals used along with dye stuff are:
a. Sulphuric acid and chlorine
b. Turpentine and glaze
c.Caustic soda and sodium sulphite
d. Sodium hydrosulphite and fixative
4. Why is it necessary to put on rubber gloves during dyeing exercise?
a. To prevent the damaging actions of the chemicals on the skin
b. To make the turning of the cloth easier
c.To make the cloth absorb easier
d.To make dye solution cover the materials well
5.Dye stuff are
a. Mixture of some chemicals
b. Substances obtained from some plants and processed into several colour
c. Products of some fruits juice
d. Combination of water colour and oil colour
6. Which is the best order in decorating fabric in more than one colour?
a. Green, yellow, violet
b. Yellow, violet, green
c. Violet, green, yellow
d. Yellow, green, violet
7. What is the usefulness of sodium hydrosulphite in dyeing process?
a. To make the dye stuff brighter in colour
b. To enable the whole mixture blend well
c. For easy absorbtion and quick action on fabric
d . To make dye remain permanent on fabric or much longer
8. Which of these help to resist dye on fabric in the batik process?
a. Rubber thread or twine
b Gum Arabic or lip stick
c. Cassava and starch or hot wax
d. Grease or pomade
Get paid for every topic you create in: Shoutam.com Forum!