Each local government council was in charge of a geographical area, and the chairman and other councilors were popularly elected into the councils by the electorate in the area.
FUNCTIONS OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
- Maintenance of law and order. Local government maintain law and order through byelaws which they enact to ensure orderly conduct, avoid breaches of the peace and protect lives and property in their area of operation.
- Provision of motor parks and markets for the inhabitants of their localities.
- Local government collected rates, fees, and rents for the development of their area. E.g. tenement rates, radio and television fees etc.
- Registration of births, deaths and marriages and issue appropriate certificates for these.
- Establishment of customary courts to handle dispute in their areas.
SOURCES OF REVENUE FOR LOCAL OVERNMENT
- Grants from the federal or state government: Grants are money made available to lacal government to help them carry out their programme.
- Statutory allocation: Local government receive a percentage of the federally generated revenue annually.
- Special levies: this refers to levies imposed on the residents of local governmnets as a means of generating internal revenue.
- Rates are collected on market stalls, motor parks, supermarkets and shops. Also motor-cycle, licenses, television and radio sets, etc.
- Income from commercial ventures like transport services, farms, holiday resorts, consultancy services, guest houses etc.
Account for the sources of local government revenue.