Before using this website, you must read our disclaimer here.
The writer uses “direction words” in the passage. Emeka’s aunt gave many directions.E.g.Go up this way, turn left by the market, run to the market etc. Find direction words as you read the passage.
Evaluation: Intensive English Book 1; Exercises 8.2.2; page 77-78.
Assignment: Intensive English Book 1; Exercises 8.2.3, 8.2.4 and 8.3.5 page 83.
(i) Definition of adverbs
- Forms of Adverbs
- Features, position and functions of adverbs.
DEFINITION OF ADVERB: An adverb modifies a verb, an adjective or other adverbs. “Ad” in adverbs is a Latin prefix meaning “to”. Examples: Carefully, slowly, softly, silently, soon, regularly, early, twice, etc.
- What is an adverb?
- Give 5 examples of adverb
FORMS OF ADVERBS
There are various forms of adverbs such as :
- ADVERBS OF TIME : These are called indicating adverbs because they indicate or show time. They express when? Examples: when,since, late, after, today, soon, formerly,early etc.
- ADVERBS OF PLACE: They express where? Examples: where,here, there, forward, somewhere, every-where, out, near, etc.
- ADVERBS OF MANNER :They express how ? Examples: angrily, slowly,deeply, quickly,well,
- ADVERBS OF DEGREE:They express to what extent.Examples: Almost, only,quickly, very rather, etc.
- ADVERB OF FREQUENCY: They express how often? E.g daily, twice, rarely, often, sometimes, etc
1. List 3 types of adverbs.
2. Give 2 examples of each.
FEATURE OF ADVERBS
The most important feature of the adverb is that a majority of them are derived from adjectives by the application of the derivational suffix-ly to the adjectival stem when an adverb.
POSITION OF ADVERBS
Adverbs are generally put after the verb they go with E.g. He ran quickly. Adverbs however can also be used before verbs or at the end of sentence Eg.1: She suddenly opened the door.
She opened the door suddenly.
Suddenly, she opened the door.
Adverbs can occur at the initial, medial or final position in a sentence as above.
FUNCTION OF ADVERBS
An adverb can either function as an adverbial or as a modifier of other word classes such as; adjectives, verbs nouns phrases, prepositional phrases, determiners, as well as adverbs.
- Mention two functions of adverb.
- Adverbs can be put in the initial, medial, or final position in sentence True/False?
Sub-Topic 3: SPEECH WORK
Topic: Consonants /k/ and /g/
1. Describing the sound
2. Pronouncing the sound
3. Contrasting the sound
1. Describing the sound
These consonants /k/ and /g/ are plosive. /k/ is a voiceless velar plosive while /g/ is voiced velar plosive. There is a total obstruction to the flow of air out of the mouth and nose.
- ____ is a voiceless plosive
- ______ is a voiced plosive
PRONOUNCING THE SOUND
/g/- /gee/ as in
Goat, big, digger, trigger, sign, lagging etc
/g/ is silent in some words e.g gnat, gnome, gnaw, gnash, sign, reign
/k/ – /k/ as in
Car, cat, kettle, king, know, sack, backs, lack, snack, etc
/k/ is silent in words like knock, know etc.
1. Write five words that contain the consonant sound /g/
2. Mention 5 words that contain the consonant sound /k/
CONTRASTING THE SOUND
Choose the word that contains the consonant sound represented by the phonetic symbol given.
- /k/ a. know b. price c. case d. cease
- /p/ a. psalm b. psychology c. candle d. slept
- /g/ a. gnome b. game c. gnat d. sign
- /k/ a. kite b. cell c. knowledge d. circle
TOPIC: Letter Writing
Topic: Letter writing: Formal Letters
- Definition of formal letters
- Types of formal letters
- Features of formal letters
1. Definition of formal letters
Formal letters are letters written to offices. They are also called official letters
1. What is a formal letter?
2. What is another name for formal?
TYPES OF FORMAL LETTERS
- Application for employment
- Application for Admission to Educational institutions
- Petitions to a Government office
- Letters of complaint to the police
- Letters of inquiry to a company
- Letter commenting on Editorials of Newspapers
- Applications for suppliers to manufacturing companies
- Mention 3 types of formal letters
- Application for employment is a formal letter True/False
Features of formal letters
- Address of the writer
- Address of the addressee
- The letter heading
- The body of the letter
- The Conclusion
- Mention 4 features of a formal letters
- How does a formal letter end
- Definition of poetry
- Types of poetry
- Language of poetry
Definition of poetry
A poem is a piece of creative writing that is usually written in verse. Poetry is a collection of poems.
- What is a poem?
- What is poetry?
TYPES OF POEMS
These are epic, ode, dirge, sonnet, Ballard, elegy
Epic: A long poem with many exciting adventures (1) A long poem telling of achievements of hero.
Ode: A poem written to or about a person or thing.
Dirge: A poem of mourning
(Sonnet): A poem with 14 lines that Rhyme with each other in a fixed pattern.
Ballard: A long poem that tells a story
Elegy: A sad poem especially about someone who has diet
- Mention four types of poems
- What is an Ode?
The language of poetry: This refers to elements of poetry
1. Imagery: These are created in poetry by means of figures of speech.
2. Rhythm: Refers to the alteration of stressed and unstressed syllables.
3. Sound: This is one of the elements that compose vocal utterance.
- Mention 2 element s of poetry
- What is sound in poetry?