Reproduction in cockroach is sexual. The process occurs as follows:
- Male and female mate. Sperm cells from the male are stored in a pouch on the 7thabdominal segment of the female cockroach. This pouch is called Spermatheca.
- Fertilisation occurs in pouch.
- Spermatheca (Sperm pouch) forms the egg case called Ootheca. Ootheca contains between 10-16 eggs.
- Ootheca is carried about by the female between its two hind legs for a number of days.
- Female eventually deposit Ootheca containing the fertilised eggs in a suitable place like dark cornear of a cupboard for incubation.
Incubation period is about 30 days. At the end of incubation, the eggs hatch to give small ones that are similar to the adult except for the absence of wings, small size and pale colour. This small cockroach is called Nymph. Nymph moults a number of times to get to a full grown cockroach.
EVALUATION (POST THE QUESTION TITLE AND YOUR ANSWER IN THE QUESTION BOX BELOW FOR EVALUATION AND DISCUSSION)
- Describe sexual reproduction in cockroach.
- Make a diagrammatic reproduction of the process.
- Itemise the differences between adult cockroach and a Nymph.