- Stave: clefs, names of lines and spaces, ledger lines, great stave, notes andtheir value.
MEANING OF STAVE
A stave is a series of five horizontal lines and four spaces on which musical notes are written.On the piano, white keys are called natural keys while the black keys are called enharmonic keys.
MEANING OF CLEF
Clef is the sign or symbol used to fix in position certain letter names on the stave (staff).There are two commonly used types of clef among other types of clef in music namely:
1. TREBLE OR G CLEF
2. BASS OR F CLEF
Rudiments And Theories Of Music
- Define stave and clef respectively.
- State two types of staff in music .
- Mention the total number of lines and spaces that make up a staff.
- What is the difference between great stave and ledger line?
The great stave or staff is a combination of the treble and bass together with a brace. It is the thick line or mark that connects the treble and bass together on the keyboard screen.It comprises of eleven horizontal lines and ten spaces.
MUSICAL NOTES AND THEIR VALUES
Musical notes have unique values with their respective symbols or signs.
The table below shows the musical notes and their relative values.
- What is great staff?
- State three musical notes and their relative values.
- State three painting materials or painting media.
- List two basic carving tools used by a wood carver.
- What is the difference between wood carving and modeling?
- Mention two carving tools.
- What is the artistic term for beauty?
Cultural and Creative Art (New Edition) by Peter Akinyemi& Co-Authors. (Book 1)
Pages 53-55, 46 – 49
- The treble and bass clef are …….(a) musical sign (b) musical value (c) pitch indicator (d) musical feature
- Musical notes fixed on the staff are basically ……….and…….(a) treble and bass clef (b) timbre and chord (c)pitch and intensity (d) None of the above.
- How many lines and spaces make up musicstaff? (a) 5 lines and 1space(b)5 lines and 4 spaces(c) 4lines and 5spaces(d) 3 lines and 5 spaces
- The value of a minimis ………..(a) 1/2 (b) 1/ 4 (c) 1/8 (d) 1/16
- What is the other name for treble clef? (a) G clef (b) F clef (c) tenor (d) Alto
- Define great staff?
- What is the mark that joins the treble and bass staff in music composition?