Drama has several forms or types which include:
- TRAGEDY:Tragedy is a serious play that ends on a sad note, especially when the protagonist or main character dies. It is a play dealing with tragic events and having an unhappy ending, especially concerning the downfall of the main character (protagonist) . It is characterized with sorrowful events like great suffering, destruction and distress such as a serious accident, crime or natural catastrophe.
- FARCE:A comedy that aims as entertaining the audience through situations that are highly exaggerated, extravagant and thus improbable.
- TRAGIC- COMEDY: A play or novel containing elements of tragedy and comedy. It is a literary genre that blends aspects of both tragic and comic forms.
- MASK DRAMA:A play performed by the players with mask worn on their faces as disguise to hide or conceal their true identity.
- COMEDY: A funny and humorous play that ends on a happy note. It is aimed at arousing laughter among the audience. It is a play, movie that depicts a light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending.
- MELODRAMA: A play interspersed with songs and orchestral music following or accompanying the action.
- MIME: Mime is a form of entertainment which a performer plays a character or tells a story without words by using body movements and facial expressions.
- FOLK DRAMA:A non-commercial, generally rural theatre and pageantry based on folk traditions and local history.
- List any three forms of drama you know.
- Explain mime.
- What medium or material is required for moulding objects?
- State the meaning of monochrome and polychrome respectively.
- Define pitch in music.
- State the function of a cameraman in drama production.
- What is drama?
Cultural and Creative Art (New Edition) by Peter Akinyemi& Co-Authors. (Book 1)
Pages 84 – 85
- ……….. is a play performed by the players to reveal a story through body movement and facial expression without uttering a word.(a) Mime (b) Melodrama (c) Mask drama (d) Folk drama
- A play performed on stage by a comedian/comedienne which makes the audience laugh and ends happily is called ……………………….………..(a) tragic – comedy (b) comedy (c) melodrama (d) mask drama
- A play that has a blend of tragic and comic elements is called …….(a) tragic-comedy (b) comedy (c) melodrama (d) folk drama
- A play that is characterized with tragic events which ends sadly is called……….…..(a) comedy (b) tragedy (c) tragic-comedy (d) melodrama
- The written play by William Shakespeare titled ‘Romeo and Juliet’ is based on …………..……(a) comedy (b) tragedy (c) farce (d) melodrama
- What is farce?
- Define folk drama.